Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Books!

http://www.rowayton.org/library/images/kid%20reading.gif
Last night, I was thinking about books that I love to read. In particular, ones that I can read over and over and enjoy every time.

It became apparent to me, that besides books of poetry (like those of Hafiz or e.e. cummings), or books having to do with midwifery (like Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin or A Book for Midwives by Susan Klein), books that I like to read cover-to-cover multiple times are illustrated.

I think this train of thought is largely due to my day spent reading the same three children's books over and over again to a bunch of 1-4 year olds at the Waldorf day care I sometimes work for in Saratoga.

So, in case you are the type who likes to collect great children's books, here is a short list of some of my favorites:

1. Animalia, by Graeme Base
2. Big Mama Makes the World, by Phyllis Root and illustrated by Helen Oxenbury
3. Tuesday, by David Wiesner
4. Pigs, by Robert Munsch and Michael Martchenko
5. The Napping House, by Audrey Wood and illustrated by Don Wood

2 comments:

  1. Sweet Natalie!

    You might consider sharing your reading lists on goodread. Here's my account there.

    http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/697371

    I've got a category where I post all the books I read to the boys for bedtime...

    -e

    ReplyDelete
  2. Children books haven't been really created for the younger audience, and world's mastrepices like "The Little Prince" are bright examples for this theory- the authors only use childish language and characters to tell the truths of life. The Grim Brothers stories were also meant to be read by the royal elite.

    Removal Office

    ReplyDelete