Saturday, September 5, 2009

Next Adventure: Ecuador!

Hello Everyone!

Summer has sped by! I had a beautiful job working in the Children's Garden in Chatham three days a week, grew some tasty basil, sadly watched many many tomatoes succumb to late blight, and attended my second residency at Goddard College up in Vermont. This week, I am getting ready to leave for Quito, Ecuador.

Quito is Ecuador's capital city, nestled around mountain feet, it wends its way across a valley. Located on the equator in the Andes, Ecuador is a fairly warm country, where the sun sets and rises every night and day around the same time. It's a small country, approximately 105,037 square miles, with a population of 13.5 million (BBC's country profile), but it has lots of diversity: mountains, rain forests, and beaches! My dad grew up just outside of Quito, and my grandparents still live in downtown.

This fall, my youngest brother, parents, and I will join them for the semester. My brother will be studying at a local school, learning Spanish by emersion, and I will be hopefully be studying birth and agriculture through field trips and a stay at a maternity clinic. I will do my best to share with you here what I see and learn.

(http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/samerica/lgcolor/eccolor.htm)

No comments:

Post a Comment